Confirmation of graduation

I have completed my qualification, but have not yet received confirmation of my graduation.

After examination results are released, a final-year student's record is audited to verify that the qualification is complete before the qualification status is changed from "final year" to "completed". If the qualification audit confirms that a student has completed his or her qualification, the Division: Graduations will notify the student via e-mail / SMS and confirm the details of the relevant graduation ceremony.

If you believe that you should graduate, but have not received information regarding your graduation ceremony within 8 weeks of your final examination results being released, please send an e-mail to (remember to include your student number in the subject line).

Graduation ceremony

When and where are graduation ceremonies presented?

  • Students who pass their final exams in October / November / January will graduate between March and June (Autumn graduation series). Graduation ceremonies will be presented in Cape Town, Durban, Pretoria, Polokwane, Mbombela, Bloemfontein and East London. 
  • Students who pass their final exams in May / June will graduate during September to November (Spring graduation series). Graduation ceremonies will be presented in Cape Town, Durban and Pretoria.

I would like to change my graduation venue, date and time. Is this possible? 

As a general rule, transfers between ceremonies and venues are not considered. However, if you have been recently transfered, for example, ad hoc cases may be considered. Please contact the Division: Graduations in this regard.

Can I get extra guest tickets?

A maximum of three tickets will be issued at the graduation venue. No extra tickets are available.

I have a disability. Can you assist with appropriate arrangements?

The Division: Graduations will gladly assist with appropriate arrangements, such as wheelchair access and seating. If you require assistance, please inform the Division: Graduations at least one week before your graduation ceremony.

Can I bring my child to the ceremony?

Babies and todlers are, unfortunately, not permitted to attend a graduation ceremony. Children aged 7 and older may attend a graduation ceremony, but will be required to obtain a guest ticket. Children's tickets are included in the maximum number of guests allowed.

Can I leave the graduation hall after I receive my qualification?

Graduates, diplomates and guests may not leave the hall during the proceedings. Please remain seated until the end of the ceremony.

How long is a graduation ceremony?

Most graduation ceremonies are about one-and-a-half hours long.

In what language will my certificate be issued?

All degree and diploma certificates are issued in English.

Lost certificates

I have lost my original degree / diploma certificate. Is it possible to get a replacement?

Unfortunately not. Lost certificates or copies thereof are not issued by the university.

You may, however, request a statement in lieu of a lost certificate. Unisa will consider such a request, provided that the following is submitted to the Division: Graduations:

  • A sworn declaration in which you indicate what happened to the original certificate.
  • A covering letter confirming your latest postal address and contact details.
  • A certificate copy of your ID / passport.

Updating personal details

I would like to change my name / surname before I graduate. What should I do?

Submit a written request and certified copies of your supporting documents (eg marriage certificate, ID document) to the Division:  Graduations at least two weeks prior to your graduation ceremony. 

I'd like to change my name / surname on my certificate after I graduate. Is this possible?

In most cases, this is not possible. Your qualification was awarded at a congregation of the university in the names appearing on your certificate. Your names (as indicated on your qualification) were published in the graduation programme (a statutory document), the University Register and the National Qualifications Register.

A new certificate with your updated details may only be issued after your graduation ceremony if it is found that there has been an error on the university's side. The new certificate will only be issued on receipt of the original (incorrect) certificate. The incorrect certificate will be destroyed by the university.

My qualification reflects my maiden name, but I need proof reflecting my new surname that I completed the qualification. What should I do? 

Submit a certified copy of your marriage certificate and ID (which reflects your new surname) to the Division: Graduations and request a subject declaration in your new surname.

Please note: A subject declaration can be issued in your new surname. A new certificate cannot be issued in your new surname.

Should you register through Unisa again, you may choose to register using your new surname to ensure that your qualification certificate is issued in your married name.

Certificates for short learning programmes

I completed my short learning programme (SLP), but have not received my certificate? Who can I contact?

Please contact the department, institute or centre through which you completed your short learning programme.

Contact information

How do I contact the Division: Graduations?

You may contact the Division: Graduations via e-mail address

You may also contact them via the following postal address:

Division: Graduations
Room 5-12, OR Tambo Building
Unisa Muckleneuk Campus
PO Box 392

Last modified: 2019/12/02