Master's & doctoral degrees

After you have registered

Finalisation of your registration

It may take a little time before you receive confirmation that your registration has been finalised. If you register online, but do not pay your fees during the registration process, your registration will only be finalised once the university has received your payment. Please note: Unisa must receive your payment before the closing date for registrations.

If you are a re-registering student, and are applying for a bursary, please also ensure that the necessary payment reaches the university before the closing date for registrations. If a company / sponsor is responsible for your fees, we suggest that you pay your fees yourself and then claim the necessary amount back from the company / sponsor. In this way, you will ensure that your fees are paid in time.

Prepare for your studies

There are three very important steps you must follow:

  1. Claim your myLife e-mail account as soon as possible and check this account regularly for communication from Unisa.
  2. Access myUnisa for important study-related information.
  3. Make contact with your supervisor after accessing your myUnisa information.

If you have any problems accessing myUnisa or your myLife e-mail address, please send an e-mail to or Remember to include your student number in the subject line of your e-mail.

Please note: From 2017, all communication from the university will be sent to your myLife e-mail account. Other additional communication channels may be used from time-to-time, but the university will communicate with you primarily via your myLife e-mail account.

Add study units (coursework modules only)

Students registered for a coursework master's degree may add additional modules during the relevant registration period. You must apply in writing, using the DSAR02 form, and pay the necessary fee to the university by the relevant closing date for registration.

Cancel study units 

Please take note of the following dates for cancelling study units:

  • Coursework modules:
    • 15 May 2017: Minimum payment forfeited after this date
    • 15 August 2017: Full payment forfeited after this date
  • Research master's and doctoral qualifications: You may cancel your registration by 15 August 2017, but you will forfeit the full amount.

Change my address and / or telephone number

Submit all requests to change your cellphone number and / or postal, physical or courier address via myUnisa. You may also do this by submitting the DSAR03 form.

Change my exam centre (coursework modules only)

Requests to change your examination centre must be done at least one month prior to the commencement of the respective examination period. Read more...

Apply for study unit credit exemptions

You cannot be exempted from more than 50% of the modules for the qualification for which you are registered. You must also have met the requisite admission requirements at the time of having passed the study units at your previous institution. No exemptions will be grated towards completed qualifications.

Last modified: Mon Feb 27 08:13:17 SAST 2017