Apply for admission
Who should apply for admission?
You must apply for each new qualification even if you already have a Unisa student number.
This includes new applicants (prospective students) and current and returning/previous students. A formal qualification includes: higher certificates, diplomas, bachelor degrees, BTech degrees, postgraduate certificates, postgraduate diplomas, advanced certificates, advanced diplomas, honours degrees, master's degrees and doctoral degrees.
- New applicants include
- prospective students who have never before studied through Unisa
- students who have previously registered or who are currently registered for short learning programmes
- current Grade 12 learners
- students studying at other higher education institutions and who wish to study through Unisa in 2014
- Current and returning students include
- any student who wishes to change the qualification for which they are currently or were previously registered
- students in their final semester/ year and who intend to study further
- students wishing to change the specialisation of their current qualification
- Master's or doctoral degree applicants
- any student meeting the admission requirements to apply for a master's or doctoral degree
Take note of the following before you apply:
- You must have a valid e-mail address so that Unisa can communicate with you during the application process.
- You must submit all the necessary supporting documents as part of the online application process. If you are unable to do so, you will not be able to submit your online application.
- You must not pay the application fee until you receive a reference number from Unisa.
- You can apply for a maximum of two qualifications.
- No application payments or documents will be accepted during the registration period.
|Period and category
|Period 1: Semester 1 / semester 2 / year modules (including CTA)
Online for all formal qualifications
|Thursday 15 August 2013 for all formal qualifications
||Friday 20 September 2013|
|Period 2: Semester 2
Online for all formal qualifications with semester modules
|Monday 7 April 2014
||Friday 25 April 2014|
The application for admission process
Once you have chosen your qualification and made sure that you meet the admission requirements, you can apply online or at a regional office. Work through the information carefully to ensure that your application for admission is complete and submitted correctly.
Online application process
Complete online application
- Online via http://applications.unisa.ac.za
- Or visit a Unisa regional office to submit your complete application online (application form + uploaded supporting documents) (08:00-15:30, Mondays to Fridays)
Upload supporting documents
Upload the following relevant supporting documents with your application form:
- Certified copy of your school qualifications (eg Senior Certificate)
- Certified copy of your official tertiary academic record(s) (if applicable) (please note that internet copies will not be accepted)
- Certified copy of your ID document (RSA students) or passport (international students)
- Certified copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable) or divorce decree (if applicable)
- Original sworn translations of documents if they are not in English or Afrikaans
- DSAR04 form and supporting documents if you are applying for exemptions
Rules for uploading supporting documents
Unisa does not provide scanners or electronic devices. Please ensure your documents are in an electronic format (as stipulated below) before starting the application process.
- Files cannot be larger than 2MB (2048KB) each.
- Maximum number of files allowed: 5 (combine similar items as one file, eg all school certificates as one file).
- Only black and white documents may be submitted.
- Only the following file types are allowed: pdf (Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format file), doc (Word document file) or tif (image file)
Receive reference number
After Unisa processes your application for admission, you will receive your reference number and further communication from the university.
Pay application fee
Pay the online application fee of R100,00 (online payment by credit card is available). This fee is non-refundable even if you decide not to study through Unisa or do not qualify for admission to Unisa. Unisa does not accept cash at any of its offices. You may deposit cash into the university's Standard Bank account:
Please e-mail proof of SWIFT payment to email@example.com.
- Payment information for students living in South Africa
- Pay online using your credit card: http://applications.unisa.ac.za
- Pay via bank deposit. Further details will be communicated once a reference number has been allocated to you.
- Payment information for international students
- International students must pay fees via SWIFT payment:
- Beneficiary: Unisa student deposits;
- Standard Bank;
- Account number: 011554622;
- Branch code: 010645;
- SWIFT code: SBZAZAJJ
Check list for the application process
If your application for admission to study through Unisa is incomplete, you will have to re-apply during the next application period. Make sure that you've done the following:
- I have chosen my Unisa qualification
- I have checked that I meet the detailed admission requirements for my qualification of choice
- I have applied online, at a regional office or via post
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my school qualifications (eg Senior Certificate)
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my official tertiary academic record (if applicable)
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my ID document (RSA students) or passport (foreign students)
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my marriage certificate or divorce decree (if applicable)
- I have uploaded/submitted sworn translations of my documents if they are not in English or Afrikaans
- I have submitted/submitted my application with the supporting documentation before the closing date for applications
- I will pay the application fee within 5 days of being informed of my reference number
For more information, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What will Unisa do upon receiving your application?
Unisa will assess your application, which may take a few weeks and will probably only be finalised after the closing date for applications. If your application is successful, visit the Unisa website for registration information and registration dates. If your application is unsuccessful, contact Unisa's Directorate for Counselling & Career Development to discuss alternative options linked to your career vision and goals.
What happens once Unisa approves my application?
You must register for your approved qualification during the prescribed registration period. If you want to change the qualification for which you have applied and received confirmation, you will need to re-apply for admission during the next application period.