Research Institute for Theology and Religion
Research Institute for Theology and Religion (RITR)
Founded in 1975, the institute develops and manages theological and religious research and its interface with society. Special effort goes into research related to the African context. The RITR launched the South African Science and Religion Forum (SASRF) in 1993 that convenes annually and publish its proceedings. This is the only significant initiative of its kind in the country. Through its Forum for Religious Dialogue (FRD) the RITR presents on a regular basis research seminars on contextual issues. International participation characterizes its projects.
To be a centre of excellence by:
- Doing cutting edge research of international standard
- Doing research that impacts on the South African and African context
- Maintaining a high level of academic output
- Involving national and international scholars in its research
- Making research available to society at large
- Being involved in community engagement
- Promoting a research culture at the University of South Africa
Core business of the Institute
Research is our core business. Through research we aim to remain a leader in our field of specialisation by:
- Establishing of a cooperative culture of free exchange of research information
- Conducting research in Theology and Religion that is socially relevant and internationally recognised.
- Participating in interdisciplinary research on an international level.
- Contributing through our activities to more tolerance and inclusivity in a pluralistic society.
- Soliciting funding to launch new projects and to empower researchers.
- Drawing scholars globally as partners.
- Involving scholars from all races in contextual research.
- Being involved in community service through disseminating the results of theological research to a variety of communities.
- Making it possible for religions to make themselves known in a country with religious pluralism.
- Training and guiding masters’ and doctoral students to successfully complete their studies
Constitution of the RITR
Please click here (PDF) for the constituition.