In order to achieve its vision, the Department of Mathematical Sciences seeks to:
- offer training in the development of mathematical skills, knowledge and insights in a way that is accessible to the African community
- provide quality tuition, conduct relevant research and deliver academic services at the same level of internationally accepted best practice.
- recruit, develop, utilize and retain high calibre, motivated and dedicated staff
- engage in tuition and research projects that promote the cultural heritage of Africa and the eradication of poverty, discrimination and mathematical illiteracy
- conducting research at a level on par with international standards
- engaging in theoretical, experimental and reflective research
- informing and supporting the tuition function
- teaching and communicating mathematics and astronomy to the widest possible cross-section of the African society.
- providing academic services to the scientific community both nationally and internationally
- supporting mathematics education in Science, Engineering and Technology in all its aspects
- increasing mathematics access to Higher Education