About the project
Vision Unisa and communities engaged in mutual service.
The Vision of the Project is:
MissionIntegrating and capacitating the worlds of Unisa and communities by engaging in a mutually beneficial relationship through relevant services, learning opportunities, shared resources, research, and policy.
The Mission of the Project is:
The Project will strive to achieve the following objectives:
- To facilitate engagement processes of participants.
- To mobilise, activate and engage Unisa and broader community in mutual service.
- To integrate theory and practice by means of learning through service and service through learning.
- To provide accessible, holistic and comprehensive support services to Unisa and the broader community.
- To create opportunities for learning and capacity building.
- To engage in research to inform policy and interventions.
- To mobilise, develop and share resources.
The Project will adhere to the following values:
- People centred
- Strengths and needs-based
- Social justice
- Appreciate and embrace diversity and human potential
- Community centred
- Uphold ethical and professional conduct
Structure and Style
10. The Project will be implemented through a flat, non-hierarchical, team based on functions.
A participatory, collaborative and democratic management style will be utilised. However decisions will rather be made through consensus that through majority vote.
Focus AreasThe Project will in this phase have two main focus areas:
Mobilisation and engagement of the larger Unisa community into a multi/
interdisciplinary project team.
The establishment of the Unisa Bright Site Project in Sunnyside, which will focus on:
- Establishment of a counselling and referral service for the Sunnyside community.
- Establishment of a support service for Unisa students.
- Initiation of a community development process with the Sunnyside community.
- Identification and initiation of research opportunities within the Sunnyside community.
- Placement of fourth level social work students for a service learning opportunity.
The Department of Social Work have appointed a dedicated team to launch and steer the project through the first stage. Lecturers in the department have already displayed the spirit of volunteerism through their involvement in the planning phase and by pledging their involvement at the centre.