Online Public Relations
(offered by the Department of Communication Science)
This is a course designed to offer you the skills needed to practice public relations on the web (including the internet). Although the focus is on the online public relations, traditional public relations is also included. This course equips public relations practitioners to use traditional public relations and to integrate it with public relations on the web.
The course objectives are to:
- provide learners with a basic knowledge of the theory of traditional and online public relations;
- equip the with the knowledge and skills to integrate traditional and public relations on the web in the communication strategies of the organisation to improve organisational communication with the internal and/or external public.
The course is designed to serve as a stepping stone in your public relations career and many students have benefited from this in the past. It can also be seen as the first step towards a diploma or degree.
The course is recommended for people involved in or responsible for public relations at any level in the organisation. Learners in possession of a tertiary qualification with an interest in public relations will also benefit.
The purpose of the course is to provide learners with advanced knowledge, skills and applied competence in the integrated use of the traditional and online public relations in the organisation. The course is approached from a theoretical perspective with practical hands-on applications. The learning outcome of the course is to enable learners to develop integrated public relations plans or strategies.
The course consists of five study units that cover the course content as specified below:
- UNIT 1: Traditional public relations
- UNIT 2: Introduction to online public relations
- UNIT 3: Online public relations theory
- UNIT 4: Online public relations research
- UNIT 5: Online public relations practical
This course is applicable to all employees of a business/institution who are considering the use of online public relations to improve organisational communication with their internal and/or external public. It is recommended for people involved in, or responsible for, public relations at any level in the organisation.
The minimum admission requirement is a senior certificate, Gr 12 or equivalent qualification.
Duration: 6 months
The course will be offered by means of distance education using interactive study guides, tutorial letters, e-mails and assignments. Study material will be issued to the students on registration.
Language medium: English
- Semester 1 (Commences in January 2013)
- Registration period (November-January)
- Semester 2 (Commences in June 2013)
- Registration period (May-mid-July 2013)
R1500 per student payable on registration, which includes study material and examination fees
Students will not be expected to submit formal assignments. The study guide will have numerous activities and self-testing modalities. To pass the course, students must obtain at least 50% in the examination, which will be one session of three hours. Students will be given automatic entrace to the examination which will be written twice a year:
- May/June for the first registration
- October/November for the second registration
Mrs Janette Hanekom
Department of Communication
University of South Africa
PO Box 392
Tel: 012 429 6593
Fax: 012 429 6498