Programme for Practitioners in Early Childhood Development
(Qualification code: 7029-7)
Aim of the programme
The purpose of this certificate programme is to train educators in Early Childhood Development, keeping National Curriculum Statement in mind, in order to equip them to be educators who are able to:
- Teach in the Early Childhood Development Sector
- Facilitate active learning in Early Childhood Development
- To manage the learning programmes in Early Childhood Development courses
- To facilitate healthy development in Early Childhood Development
- Teachers working in the ECD field with only practical experience; with nor or inadequate training.
- Teachers planning a career change or who have an interest in ECD (ages 3-6 years).
- Students who are interested to start a career in ECD.
- Au Pairs, Nannies, Daycare mothers and parents who would like to learn more about child development, -teaching and -daycare.
- Persons who are interested in starting a Daycare Centrum.
- Students who do not yet meet the criteria to register for the National Certificate in Teaching Reception Year. After completing the ECD certificate, they will qualify to register for the Reception Year Teaching. It is possible to register for both certificates at the same time.
National Senior Certificate or an equivalent NQF level 4 qualification.
The course is presented in English although students may do their assignments or answer the examination questions in Afrikaans.
1 (One) year.
Number of modules:
Module 1 (PECD01-4):
Module 2 (PECD025)
Theme 1: Orientation to teaching the young child,Teaching in ECD: Outcomes and teaching approach.
Theme 2: The creative Arts Programme
Theme 3: Language and Literacy
Theme 4: Movement for young children and music in the Early Years
Theme 5: Numeracy and the young Child
Theme 6: Life Skills and Exploring Science
Module 3 (PECD03-6):
Theme 7: Planning for Health and Safety
Theme 8: Management Issues
Theme 9: Assessment and reporting Identifying and accommodating children with Learning and Development Barriers
Module 4 (PECD04-8): Practical Teaching
Theme 10: Practical teaching (Workbook). Three weeks practical teaching at an ECD centre under supervision of a qualified teacher.
Nature of examinations
Assessment is based on assignments and a written examination in each of the three modules . A three week practical period is necessary to complete a practical workbook.
Two-day workshop at the Unisa Main Campus, Pretoria.
2 December to 28 February
Full course fee:
R6 000-00 (an additional fee per module to be paid by students living outside the borders of South Africa)
Fees for groups, depending on extra services required may be different
Project Leader: Dr S Krog
Registration Enquiries: (012) 429-4817/ 4627/ 4789/ 4511
Fax: (012) 429-4800 / 086 525 7705