Skip to content
Undergraduate & honours studies

Registration FAQs

Useful links:

Did you know that some Unisa qualifications include workplace-based learning?

Specific modules in certain qualifications offered at Unisa include workplace-based learning that must be completed. Please check if the qualification you have chosen has one or more work-integrated learning (WIL) modules. This experience is called work-integrated learning or experiential learning, and must be completed under the supervision of a suitably qualified and experienced person (mentor). This experience is mandatory for passing that module and achieving your qualification.

Please check, before registering for such a module, that you will be able to complete this work-integrated learning component. Students who do not have placement at an employer can contact the relevant academic department for assistance in finding a suitable experiential learning provider to gain this experience.

Will Unisa recognise my prior learning?

When applying to Unisa, Unisa will consider your previous learning. This includes both formal education at a tertiary institution (eg formal certificate, diploma and degree qualifications) and informal learning (eg knowledge or skills acquired during practical work experience, including community work in a relevant field). For further information, send an e-mail to

Please note: The RPL process is a very time-consuming and lengthy process, and it may take up to six months for any request to be assessed and finalised.

How do I get an academic record or credit certificate?

Complete the prescribed form (DSAR08) and submit it to Unisa.

Can I transfer from another university to Unisa?

Yes, except if you were excluded/suspended from a prior institution of higher education on grounds of misconduct. You need to apply to Unisa first, however. Please visit for the dates for the next application period.

Can I register with Unisa and another university simultaneously?

Only if the qualification you register for at Unisa is for non-degree purposes, and that you have written permission from the other university allowing concurrent registration. You must submit this written permission at the point of registration. Remember too, if you do not have a Unisa student number you first need to apply.

Can I register for two or more formal programmes at Unisa simultaneously?

Unfortunately not.

When can I register for a module if I was registered before and did not write the exam for the module?

After the official release of the exam results for that exam period, but before the appropriate closing date.

I completed my education in a country other than South Africa. What should I do?

If you did and youíre registering for a bachelorís degree you must apply for a certificate of conditional matric exemption through the Access and Exemption Office at Unisa (