Prof HM van der Merwe
Tel: 012 429 4807
Office: AJH van der Walt Building, Room 6-35
Hettie van der Merwe is Associate Professor of Educational Leadership and Management in the College of Education at the University of South Africa (UNISA). Her main academic and research interests concern the provision of good quality education within context. She has carried out research and published on various aspects of school functioning in South Africa in relation to proper school management for proper education. She is a member of the Education Association of South Africa (EASA); the South African Association for Research and Development in Higher Education (SAARDHE); and the Southern African Comparative and History of Education Society (SAHCES).
She teaches in the Hons BEd programme and she supervises and promotes masterís and doctoral students.
BA (1976, UP)
HED (postgrad) (1977, UP)
Hons B Ed (Education Management, 1983, UP)
M Ed (Comparative Education, 1988, UP)
PhD (Education Management, 1999, UP)
- Van der Merwe, H.M. 2011. Education of quality to the poor. Koers, 76(4):771-787.
- Van der Merwe, H.M. 2011. Migration patterns in rural schools in South Africa: moving away from poor quality education. Education as Change, 15(1):107-120.
- Van der Merwe, H.M. 2010. Mentoring as a response to merit demands on account of equity. Acta Academica, 42(2):145-168.
- Van der Merwe, H.M. 2007. The Vudec merger: A recording of what was and a reflection on gains and losses. South African Journal of Higher Education, 21(3):537-551.
- Van der Merwe, H.M. 2001. The postmodern life-buoy character of higher education. Perspectives in Education, 19(3):18-28.