Skip to content

Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology

A clinical psychologist typically works either for a medical institution or in private practice, administers psychological tests to diagnose mental conditions, and performs psychotherapy. An appropriate directed Masters degree, an internship of 12 months, and registration with the Health Professions Council of South Africa(HPCSA) as a clinical psychologist is currently required.

There are plans to change the requirements for registration at a future date. This will probably include the requirement that a candidate should achieve a doctoral degree before registration will be possible. More information on envisioned changes and time scales can be obtained from the HPCSA ( ).

The Masters course in clinical psychology is very intensive, and only a small number of students are selected each year. Applications for selection for following year must reach the University before 30 June of the preceding year.

Enquiries: Ms M Lekgoathi (